Interested in renewable energy, energy conservation, and learning new or old skills to thrive locally? We are! The North Quabbin Garlic and Arts Festival is committed to strengthening our communities, and this means promoting energy self-reliance and education about how to reduce consumption and waste, use renewable forms of energy, and re-skill our lives to create a better future for. We have created a Portal to the Future to bring together all of these important trends.
Be sure to read about the presentations that happen each day from 12:00-4:00 in the “energy tent”. This year’s presenters will cover green building, solar panels, ideas for gardening and farming, and a line-up of hands-on skills for everyday living. At left, Brian of North Quabbin Energy explains “winserts” – home-made window inserts. Conservation is first in the holy trinity of energy consciousness – conservation, efficiency, renewables. Mini-demos will also occur in the “Portal tent” on topics related to hand skills, energy use, and local food. Schedules for all presentations and demos are available for download.
- North Quabbin Energy: Get your questions answered by members of this informal group providing guidance and inspiration to citizens of the 9 towns in the North Quabbin area.
- Pioneer Valley Photovoltaics (PV²): Come see the ‘gear’ and hear the music on a stage that is powered by a solar electric system.
- Domestic DC systems: Installing off-grid and grid-tied solar systems in the North Quabbin area. Powering the wood turning lathes at the festival. Visit our trailer in the renewable energy section
- CO-OP Power: Grass roots at its best, they are a member based organization bringing solar hot water, home weatherizations, biodiesel, and more to Western Mass.
- Genesis One LLC: Get toasted with Mike Dabrowski’s deep-dish solar cooker. Check out his other inventions powered by the greatest source of life on earth – our Sun. Here is “thinking outside the box” at its best!