The festival is family friendly and rich with fabulous art, nature and adventure activities for kids and families! There are many new happenings this year around the kids area which has been re-located this year to a spot up the hill from the Main Stage between the upper Food Court and Spoken Word Stage. Free and fun!
The kid’s art tent this year will feature an amazing, giant “The World We Love” globe crafted by Terri Bucci and Bruce Scherer where, along with local climate action groups, everyone can add their hopes and dreams for a beautiful world. Then at 3:15 each day, Leaf Boat Theater will guide a parade from the four corners of the festival field, culminating in a 3:30 performance at the kid’s activity tent entitled “The World We Love is in Our Hands.”
Other 2017 kid’s activities include:
- The popular Skeleton Crew theater will be back roaming the fields from 11-4 both days!
- Hoola Hooping with Alotta Hoopla plus special demonstrations at 2:30 PM each day
- Henna at booth 72 and facepainting Sunday afternoon with Mary at booth 82
- Horse-drawn hayrides with Brian Hubbard leave from the top of the hill beyond the Food Court. (Modest fee)
- Experience a rare and amazing collection: Two Horses Native Artifact collection and education from 12:00 to 2:00 each day at booth 54: stone arrowheads of various sizes and purposes, spear and knife heads, tools and sacred effigies. The collection is shared by Walt Two Horses and Jetta Petrie
- N. E. Wilderness Bushcraft will offer a demo of Natural Tinder Gathering and Firecraft at 11am Saturday, and Campcrafting: Furniture and Simple Comforts on 11am on Sunday (meet at their booth).
- From 11.30-1.30 on Sunday, make Cranes with Suzanne from Traprock Peace Center in the kid’s activity tent. A new collection of peace books for children is coming to the Orange libraries.
Garlic games takes place throughout the weekend. See the schedule for times. Allium (that’s latin for garlic) antics take place in the games area in front of the Seeds of Solidarity tent and include:
- Garlic and Egg Toss
- Garlic Sack Race
- Tug of Garlic…
- And, do not miss the famous Raw Garlic Eating Contest led by gamesmaster for 19 years running, Josh Habib, at 2:45 PM on Saturday in front of the Seeds of Solidarity tent! (where you can sign up earlier in the day to participate) See if you can eat over 30 cloves like the winners… or at least try one then cheer them on and enjoy the antics.
Be sure to visit the Family Stage for a fabulous line-up of performers. And there are lots of on-going demos at artist and agriculture booths that are great for all ages, as well as exciting and educational activities in the Portal to the Future.